h/t: The Madmax of Conservatism
Pakistani forces have taken control of a warren of caves that served until recently as the nerve centre of the Taleban and al-Qaeda and sheltered Ayman al-Zawahiri, the second-in-command to Osama bin Laden.
“It was the main hub of militancy where al-Qaeda operatives had moved freely,” Major-General Tariq Khan, the Pakistan regional commander, said as he gave journalists a tour of Damadola yesterday.
The village, nestling among snow-capped peaks in the Bajaur region along the Afghan border, has been fought over for 16 months. It is the first time that the Pakistani Army has set foot in the village, which had long been dominated by the insurgents operating on the both sides of the Pakistan-Afghanistan border.
“Al-Qaeda was there. They had occupied the ridges. There were 156 caves designed as a defensive complex,” said General Khan, head of the Frontier Corps responsible for Pakistan’s counter-insurgency campaign in the region. He said that his forces had killed 75 foreign and local militants and cleared a zone up to the Afghan border, and that the campaign against the insurgents was in its final stage.
Which reminds me of an innerwebz meme I recently swiped from Mitchieville ...
You Know You're Taliban When ...
1. You refine heroin for a living, but have a moral objection to beer.
2. You own a £3,000 machine gun and a £5,000 rocket launcher, but you can’t afford to buy shoes.
3. You have more wives than teeth.
4. You wipe your butt with your bare hand, but consider bacon unclean.
5. You think vests come in two styles: bulletproof and suicide.
6. You can’t think of anyone you haven’t declared Jihad against.
7. You consider television dangerous, but routinely carry explosives in your clothing.
8. You were amazed to discover that mobile phones have uses other than setting off roadside bombs.
9. You have nothing against women and think every man should own at least two.
10. You’ve always had a crush on your neighbur's goat.