"Call me; I need campaign money."
Predictably, if you're already sucking on the government teat, you automatically qualify for a phone:
If you, or members in your household are, receiving the following benefits you automatically qualify for the Lifeline program. Those interested in the program must have an income of less than 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. (For example in the 48 Contiguous States and D.C the income level is $22,350 per year for a family of four.)
Last year, the federal program paid out $1.6 billion to cover free cell phones and the monthly bills of 12.5 million wireless accounts. Naturally an audit showed that many people getting you to pay for their phones were taking more than their "fair share."
- Food Stamps or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income – commonly known as SSI
- Health Benefit Coverage under Child Health Insurance Plan (CHIP)
- The National School Lunch Program’s Free Lunch Program.
- Low-Income Energy Assistance Program – LIHEAP
- Federal Public Housing Assistance ( Section 8 )
- If you are a low-income Eligible Resident of Tribal Lands
- Temporary Assistance to Needy Families – TANF
269,000 wireless Lifeline subscribers were receiving free phones and monthly service from two or more carriers.You can imagine the number of participants is only going to climb. I mean, it's not like that money could be used to create jobs jobs jobs, or something.
But jobs have never been Obama's top priority; getting re-elected has. Does he really think giving someone a free phone will buy their vote?
H/T: Weasel Zippers